2024/25 Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio Auditions
Studio Artists receive mainstage assignments throughout the season, in addition to a fully staged scenes or cabaret program. Arizona Opera programs a number of mainstage productions per season, spanning repertoire from world premieres to beloved classics. Anticipated assignments for the 2024/25 Season will be shared with candidates upon receiving an offer of employment.
Program Dates: September 1, 2024 - April 30, 2025 (inclusive)
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Program Details: The Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio’s mission is to provide emerging artists with comprehensive performance and training opportunities in a supportive and professional working environment.
Program components include:
- Performance opportunities on the mainstage and throughout the community, strengthening each artist and the company’s community relationships.
- Well-rounded, personalized instruction and coaching that takes each artist to the next level and prepares them for successful careers.
- Diverse repertoire and innovative programming, including opera, art song, musical theater, and non-traditional works.
- Career development assistance to help artists build relationships that will guide and promote their initial steps into the profession.
Compensation: Studio Artists are hired as full time, non-exempt employees of Arizona Opera.
Benefits of employment include:
- Compensation (During the 2023/24 Season, the gross bi-weekly pay is $1,050). Studio Artists are paid this gross amount twice a month.
- Furnished housing for the duration of employment period.
- Discretionary travel stipend of up to $1,000.
- Eligibility to participate in Arizona Opera's benefits plan, including health, dental, and life insurance, after two months of employment.
- Arizona Opera is located in Phoenix, AZ. Studio Artists are responsible for their own ground transportation while in Arizona.
- Arizona Opera is unable to assume responsibility for housing spouses/partners, children, or pets.
APPLICATION DETAILS & REQUIREMENTS
Application Link: https://www.yaptracker.com/applications/arizona-opera-2024/
Deadline: Received by Sunday, October 8, 2023
Age Limit: 35 (Please contact Samuel Carroll (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you believe your situation merits special consideration.)
Restrictions: Applicants must be United States citizens or have the right to work in the United States. Non U.S. citizens must send a photocopy of their documentation proving right to work in the United States.
All applicants should submit:
- A completed YAP Tracker application form
- A detailed résumé in PDF format only
- A headshot in JPEG format only
- 3 professional references and contact information for each
- 2 contrasting video recordings of performances, coachings or rehearsals with singers or playing a rehearsal with conductor.
- Video recordings of two operatic arias (one of which must be in English), made within twelve months of the application deadline.
Assistant Stage Directors
- 1 video recording of a staged scene from an opera or musical.
- 1 video recording dramatically coaching an aria with a singer.
AUDITION DETAILS & REQUIREMENTS
Audition Dates & Locations
New York, NY: November 9 & 10, 2023
Cincinnati, OH: November 13, 2023
Houston, TX: November 15, 2023
Please be prepared to sing and play from each of the categories listed below. You may begin your audition with the category of your choice. Additionally, you will be asked to follow a conductor for a portion of the categories marked with an asterisk.
- A brief secco recitative excerpt
- Don Giovanni: Act 1 Finale, starting at Allegro, Bärenreiter m. 273 (“Riposate, vezzose ragazze”) and ending at Allegro, Bärenreiter m. 533 (“Tutto”)*
- La Bohème: Act 1, up until Schaunard’s entrance (Ricordi, Rehearsal 10)*
- Ariadne auf Naxos: Komponist aria (Rehearsal 108 - Rehearsal 117)*
- An art song or Musical Theatre piece
- Please prepare five (5) pieces in total for this audition.
- Four (4) pieces should be arias, varying in language and style; one (1) must be in English
- The fifth selection may be an additional aria or a musical theatre selection
Assistant Stage Directors
Those selected to move forward in the application process for the Assistant Stage Director position will be invited to interview with the Artistic team via Zoom. More details on what to prepare for this interview will be shared when application statuses are updated on or before October 19, 2023.
Director of Artistic Operations & The Marion Roose Pullin Opera Studio