Arlyn M. Brewster OperaTunity Seasonal Tour Supervisor (PHOENIX)
Arizona Opera is looking for a motivated, energetic, and driven Arlyn M. Brewster OperaTunity Tour Supervisor for our Phoenix tour.
Job Title: Phoenix OperaTunity Tour Supervisor
Job Dates: January 2, 2023 – May 19, 2023
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Reports to: Director of Education
Classification: About 20 – 25 hours/week (Part-time/seasonal)
The Arlyn M. Brewster OperaTunity Troupe travels to Phoenix and Tucson area schools performing all-school assemblies of various adapted operas for elementary and middle school aged students. The troupe performs over 70 shows for 15,000+ students from September – December in Tucson, and over 100 shows for 24,000+ students from January – May in Phoenix. The 2022/23 productions are Cinderella (Tucson), adapted from La Cenerentola and Cendrillon, Beauty and the Beast (Phoenix) adapted from Zemire et Azor with music from Ricard Coeur-de-lion and Who Wants to be an Opera Star? A gameshow style program featuring opera’s “greatest hits.”
Essential Job Functions:
The essential function of this position is to accompany the Arizona Opera Education Teaching Artists on their tour and provide backstage and behind the scenes support daily. Duties Include:
- Support the Brewster OperaTunity Artists in day-to-day functions including but not limited to, driving and maintaining the Education tour van, school check in and communication, set-up and take-down of portable set, stage management, safety, staging checks, providing staging notes, etc.
- Function as point person for all day-of school related issues and communications between Arizona Opera and the collaborating school.
- Function as point person between Arizona Opera Education Teaching Artists and Director of Education including but not limited to personnel issues, staging issues, schedule conflicts, etc.
- Maintain all props and set pieces through the duration of the tour.
- Function as point person between collaborating schools and Arizona Opera, making the Arizona Opera Director of Education aware of items including but not limited to preparedness of school, behavior of teachers and students, cleanliness of performance space.
- This is a part-time, salaried position (flat rate every bi-weekly pay period).
- Tour Supervisor is expected to be available from 7:30am – 3:30pm MST Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, with Wednesdays off each week (this day may change based on the availability of the troupe).
- You will NOT be busy this entire time – shows are typically scheduled back-to-back and only two performances are allowed per day. Your schedule is provided for you in advance so you can work around other engagements.
- There is no housing stipend provided for this position.
- Arizona Opera requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccination and provide proof of vaccination prior to being hired.
- Must be comfortable driving a 15-passenger van (training is available if you do not have experience).
- Comfort with public speaking to large groups of children is preferred.
- Must be able to lift 30+ pounds.
- Must be able to stand for 2+ hours at a time.
- Extended time standing and walking may be required.
- Work environment is fast-paced and high energy. Interactions with large groups of young children are frequent.
- Reliable transportation is required. Flexible schedule that will require working some nights and weekends to attend performances, rehearsals, etc.
PHOENIX application deadline: August 1, 2022
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.