Assistant Lighting Designer
Arizona Opera was founded in 1971. Since its inaugural year, Arizona Opera has produced over 170 fully-staged operas and concerts. On stage, Arizona Opera presents artists of both international stature and emerging talent, and each season balances debut artists and the return of favorite performers.
Arizona Opera seeks an experienced Assistant Lighting Designer (ALD) for the 2021/22 Season production of Carmen.
Carmen Production & Performance: 17 January – 7 February 2022 (LD: Gregory Allen Hirsch) The opera techs in Phoenix.
- Create, draft and update lighting paperwork as needed including all light plots, hookups, schedules, focus charts, cue lists, follow spot cue lists, shop orders, etc.
- Assist LD with focus under the direction of the Lighting Designer.
- Adapt and focus shows in Tucson performance venues.
- Attend rehearsals as needed, and all performances.
- Conduct channel checks.
- Coordinate all aspects of the electrics department including prep, load-in, focus, tech, dress rehearsals, performances, and load-in/out in collaboration with the Technical Director.
- Serve as the primary contact for all Visiting Lighting Designers.
- Provide effective communication between the Lighting Designer and all departments.
- BFA in stage design or technology with an emphasis on lighting or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of opera production standards
- Ability to follow music
- Proficiency in Vectorworks2021, LightWright 6, Lightning Tapes and Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency with ETC consoles (Ion & Gio) and off-line software.
- Experience working with IATSE labor.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills (English).
- Good organizational and time management skills.
To apply, contact email@example.com.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
Salary and Benefits
$800 per week, airfare, hotel and per diem. Three weeks residency.