COVID-19 Compliance Officer
Arizona Opera, originally the Tucson Opera Company, was founded in 1971 by a dedicated group of opera enthusiasts. Its inaugural season featured two performances of Rossini’s The Barber of Seville in Tucson and by the 1976 – 1977 season Arizona Opera was performing complete seasons in both Tucson and Phoenix. Since its inaugural year, Arizona Opera has produced over 170 fully-staged operas and concerts. The company’s artistic history is rich with a blend of opera’s traditional repertoire featuring baroque, bel canto, and verismo works, turn-of-the-century masterpieces, operettas, and American operas. Arizona Opera has also presented Wagner’s complete Ring Cycle twice, a feat that has only been accomplished in North America by four other companies.
On stage, Arizona Opera presents artists of both international stature and emerging talent, and each season balances debut artists and the return of favorite performers. Arizona’s musical talent is showcased in its acclaimed orchestra and chorus. The Arizona Opera Orchestra, established in 2000, consists of members of symphony orchestras from Flagstaff, Phoenix, and Tucson, as well as faculty from local universities, and the chorus is comprised of Phoenix and Tucson community members and students from local universities.
In addition to producing five grand operas each year in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona Opera offers in-school touring productions and numerous outreach events for children and adults of all ages. The Arizona Opera Scenic Studio is a 25,000 square foot building that houses a scenery and paint shop, office space and scenery storage.
Job Title: COVID-19 Compliance Officer
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Reports To: HR
Collaborates with: Stage Management, Venue Production Departments, Costume Shop Manager, Technical Director, Properties Manager, Wig and Make-up Designer
FLSA Status: Eligible for OT (Non-Exempt)
Classification: Full time
COVID-19 Compliance Officer Responsibilities:
- Enforce AZO policies and protocols in all venues relating to the safeguarding of cast and production personnel from COVID-19 throughout physical production process in conjunction with production management.
- Perform walkthroughs with production management to determine COVID-19 health and safety planning requirements and best practices needed for each department to comply with applicable regulations, guidelines, protocols, and policy/procedures.
- Evaluate production work practices, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the applicable COVID-19 requirements.
- Advise AZO on best practices on health and safety related to COVID-19 and implement changes necessary.
- Ensure required health compliance training for all performers and production personnel is provided.
- Provide training upon request Escalate issues and provide reports to AZO leadership regarding concerns, violations, and compliance.
- Review rehearsal, technical and performance schedules to ensure required social distancing procedures (pods, teams, etc.) are in place.
- Work with departments to implement social distancing protocols for office/workspaces.
- Monitor key points of entry, egress and traffic flow areas to ensure proper social distancing.
- Ensure employee screening protocols are in place.
- Stay current on new developments in health and safety to improve quality and efficacy of production processes.
- Manage/coordinate the Health Safety Team; ensure team members are deployed appropriately, tasks are delegated and completed, and safety protocol is being followed.
- Verify the pre-work health screening process established by AZO is being followed.
- Manage the removal/return to work process of potentially infected cast and crew with AZO leadership.
- Ensure that initial training and ongoing education of cast and production personnel relating to Infectious Disease precautions and Production policy is conducted and validated.
- Conduct periodic inspection of the workplaces to ensure that COVID-19 policies and procedures are integrated into operations at the Production level.
- Basic knowledge of safety and health standards and regulations required.
- Prior OSHA Health & Safety Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health or Occupational Health & Safety or related fields is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience in Opera or Theatre Production strongly preferred
- Previous Medical/Nursing/EMT experience and/or certification (EMT, Paramedic, LVN, RN, Physician Assistant, CNA, Nurse Practitioner) strongly preferred.
- Requires long periods of standing and moving
- Be able to wear required PPE for up to 12 hours or more per shift (face mask, eye protection, medical gloves, safety shoes, safety vest, etc.)
Must travel to Tucson for performance weeks.
Availability for evening and weekend work required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
Applicants for this position should email resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Salary and Benefits
- Compensation will be $35-40,000 per year commensurate with experience, paid in bi-monthly installments. The benefits include medical and dental insurance, paid time off.