Dresser/Wardrobe Crew Member
Dresser is an hourly position that helps to maintain costumes by steaming, pressings, and completing small scale notes as well as running the show including checking costumes in/out.
Job Title: Dresser/Wardrobe Crew Member
Location: Phoenix, Arizona / Tucson, Arizona
Reports To: Costume Shop Manager, Workroom Assistant
FLSA Status: Eligible for OT (non-exempt)
Classification: Part-time, Hourly.
The Sound of Music:
Phoenix Dressers beginning February 22, 2023 and concluding March 5, 2023.
Tucson Dressers beginning March 11, 2023 and concluding March 12,2023.
- Perform wardrobe tracks as needed
- Help collect and complete notes created during dress rehearsals
- Launder appropriate garments during each production, as needed
- Check-In/Check-out process for each production
- Help maintain the integrity of each costume design
- Assist with notes as needed
- Maintaining a clean and effective work environment
- Other related duties as assigned
- Classes/Certificate in theatre technology and at least 1 years of professional wardrobe experience OR equivalent combination of professional and education experience,
- Must have reliable transportation
- Intermediate Costume construction and alteration skills, including: stitching, finishing
- Domestic sewing machines
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure with varied personalities
- Ability to receive instructions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Creative, detail oriented, excellent organizational and self-management skills, and ability to multi-task, adapt, and work in a fast-paced work environment
- Communicating by telephone, e-mail and in person
- Periods sitting at a sewing machine and standing at ironing board or steamer
- Ability to move quickly and quietly back stage in congested areas with minimal visibility
- Ability to go up and down narrow stairs in theatre spaces
- Ability to perform duties in a rigorous schedule, climb ladders and stairs and carry 50 pounds
- Work environment is generally the busy and dark backstage at the theatres.
- If travel to Tucson for performances is needed for specific job-related duties (travel and per diem will be provided when applicable).
- Availability for evening and weekend rehearsals and performances is required, but this will be scheduled ahead of time.
- Arizona Opera requires that employees, contractors, etc., be fully vaccinated and have a booster (type of booster not specified). Exceptions may be granted in review on a case-by-case basis and subject to federal law.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume and 3 references.
Email materials, with the subject line Dresser, to firstname.lastname@example.org.