Marion Roose Pullin ARIZONA OPERA STUDIO: Assistant Stage Director
Applicants must be United States citizens or have the right to work in the United States. Non-U.S. Citizens must send a photocopy of right-to-work documentation.
How To Apply
Received By Wednesday, September 1, 2021
All materials must be submitted online via the YAP Tracker application:
- Completed application form.
- Cover Letter (PDF).
- Detailed resume (PDF).
- One high-resolution headshot.
- Production images of work either directed or assistant directed by you. Max 5 documents.
- Three professional references. Contact information will need to be provided on the application form. No written recommendation letters are accepted.
* An audition fee of $20 will be charged only to those applicants who are granted an in-person audition, and coaching session with a singer and pianist.
Application Form Location
Audition Locations and Dates
- Cincinnati, OH USA: Monday, September 27, 2021
- Houston, TX USA: Wednesday, September 29, 2021
- New York, NY USA: Monday, October 4, 2021 - Saturday, October 9, 2021
Applicants must submit a resume and three (3) professional references. Upon review of required materials, the applicant may be invited to participate in a preliminary interview over Zoom with the Christopher Cano, Director of the Studio, Zackery Hayhurst, Director of Artistic Administration, and Keri Muir, Production Stage Manager of Arizona Opera.
After the preliminary interview, advancing applicants may be invited to meet with members of the Arizona Opera Artistic Staff in one of their audition cities (Cincinnati, Houston, New York or Phoenix) for an in-person interview. In this final stage of the interview/audition process,the applicants will be asked to work with a singer and pianist in a directing capacity on an aria assigned by the Head of Music and Director of the Marion Roose Pullin Studio of Arizona Opera. Each applicant will be notified in advance of what aria the singer and pianist will be presenting.
Please note: Arizona Opera is not responsible for any travel expenses incurred by the applicant for the audition invitation. All applicants who are selected for this final interview/audition are responsible for their own housing and travel.
Phoenix, AZ USA
The 2022/23 Season assignments for the Assistant Stage Director will be made at the time of the offer of employment.
September 1, 2022 - April 30, 2023
The Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio provides emerging artists with comprehensive performance and training opportunities in a professional environment.
Program components include:
- Assistant Directing opportunities throughout the season on all mainstage productions and Directing the Studio Artists Scenes program.
- Well-rounded, personalized instruction and mentoring with visiting directors that takes the candidate to the next level and prepares them for successful careers.
- Diverse repertoire and innovative programming, including opera, art song, musical theater, and non-traditional works.
- Career development assistance to help artists build relationships that will guide and promote their initial steps into the profession.
- Mentoring with production and artistic staff
Responsibilities for the Studio Artist Assistant Stage Director may include:
- Assisting mainstage stage directors and production stage manager on the daily running of rehearsals
- Dramatic coachings with Studio Artists
- Stage director for the "Scenes in the Witcoff" Studio scenes program.
Payment is provided
* Studio Artists are hired as full time, non-exempt employees of Arizona Opera.
Benefits of employment include:
- Compensation (During the 2021/22 Season, the gross bi-weekly pay was $1,050). Studio Artists are paid this gross amount twice a month.
- Furnished housing for the duration of employment period.
- Discretionary travel stipend up to $1,000.
- Eligible to participate in Arizona Opera's benefits plan, including health, dental, and life insurance, after two months of employment.
- Arizona Opera is located in Phoenix, AZ. Studio Artists are responsible for their own ground transportation while in Arizona.
- Arizona Opera is unable to assume responsibility for housing spouses/partners, children, or pets. Contact Information
For repertoire inquiries or questions concerning the program, please contact Christopher Cano, Head of Music and Director, Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio - firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions related to auditioning (i.e., time changes, waitlist, etc.), please contact Zackery Hayhurst, Director of Artistic Administration - email@example.com