Arizona Opera seeks a team‐focused, self‐motivated, dedicated candidate ready for the next step in their theater career!
ABOUT ARIZONA OPERA
Arizona Opera, originally the Tucson Opera Company, was founded in 1971 by a dedicated group of opera enthusiasts. Its inaugural season featured two performances of Rossini’s The Barber of Seville in Tucson and by the 1976/77 Season Arizona Opera was performing complete seasons in both Tucson and Phoenix. Since its inaugural year, Arizona Opera has produced over 170 fully‐staged operas and concerts. The company’s artistic history is rich with a blend of opera’s traditional repertoire featuring baroque, bel canto, and verismo works, turn‐of‐the‐century masterpieces, operettas, and American operas. Arizona Opera has also presented Wagner’s complete Ring Cycle twice, a feat that has only been accomplished in North America by four other companies.
In addition to producing five grand operas each year in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona Opera offers in‐school touring productions and numerous outreach events for children and adults of all ages. Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal access and opportunity to anyone who qualifies, regardless of sex, race, age, color, religion, mental or physical disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, and/or military status.
Arizona Opera is committed to racial equity and to dismantling historic barriers of oppression.
Job Title: Production Coordinator
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Reports To: Director of Production
Collaborates with: Stage Management, Venue Production Departments, Costume Shop Manager, Technical Director, Properties Manager, Wig and Make‐up Designer, Lighting Supervisor.
FLSA Status: Eligible for OT (Non‐Exempt)
Classification: Full time, continuing.
The Production Coordinator supports the Production Department in the day‐to‐day operations, establishes a safe and healthy work environment throughout all technical departments. The ideal candidate would be a team‐focused, motivated, self‐starter who wants to meet the demands in a fast‐paced professional environment.
- To remain positive, upbeat, professional and with a calm demeanor at all times.
- Assist with productions & large events, specifically in the the costumes, lighting, technical, properties, hair, make‐up departments and with stage management as required
- Assist in the sourcing of materials required for set / costume builds
- Assist with accurate budget tracking and other administrative paperwork (crew expenses)
- Assisting with crew payroll
- Assist in researching materials and work practices
- Welcome packages for crew and designers
- Assist in facility management and operation
- Assist in the planning, set‐up and operation of special events and audience engagement activities
- Carry out other related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by direct supervisor or management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Team‐player focused on the best outcome for everyone involved with the production.
- Knowledge of theatrical production, design and build processes.
- Strong working knowledge of theatrical production and theatrical safety procedures and practices.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem‐solving skills.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Skill in collaborative approach to goal achievement.
- Deadline‐oriented, able to prioritize tasks, with flexibility to adjust timelines as needed.
- Motivated — able to see a task that requires attention and completes such tasks without hesitation.
- A demonstrated willingness to promote a team atmosphere of respect and mutual co‐operation with the other employees of Arizona Opera.
Extended periods at workstation, using a keyboard, viewing a computer screen and communicating by telephone and in person. Ability to perform duties in a rigorous schedule, climb ladders and stairs and carry 50 pounds.
May travel to Tucson for performance weeks. Availability for evening and weekend work required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Applicants for this position should email resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. Send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ATTN: Production Department.
For more details on this posting please email Clayton Rodney, Director of Production, at email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their documents as soon as possible with interviews beginning as soon as possible. The posting will remain open until filled by the right candidate for Arizona Opera.
- Graduate from a post‐secondary technical theater training program
- Experience in theatrical production and management.
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and working with Windows operating systems.
- Valid driver’s license. It is strongly suggested this person have a vehicle.
- Knowledge and adherence of safe working practices.
- 1 ‐ 2 years’ experience in a theatre / opera company.
- Experience working with unionized crews is extremely helpful.
- Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!
Salary and Benefits
Compensation will be $35,000‐39,000 per year commensurate with experience, paid in bi‐monthly installments. The benefits include medical and dental insurance, paid time off. More details on our expensive benefit plan are available by request.