Arizona Opera is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented, and energetic Staff Accountant to join its Finance team as the company continues to pursue its vision of artistic vitality, delivery of civic value, audience expansion, and institutional strength and sustainability.
Job Title: Staff Accountant and Budget Analyst
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Reports To: Director Finance, Administration and HR
FLSA Status: Eligible for OT (Non-Exempt)
Classification: Full time
- Staff Accountant Responsibilities
- Assist in completing monthly financial closing process and prepares all designated account reconciliations on a timely and accurate basis.
- Reconcile bank accounts and company credit cards and follow-up with departments as needed.
- Maintain and update schedules for fixed assets, leases, prepaids, deferrals, etc.
- Complete and prepare monthly journal entries to ensure the month-end trial balance represents accurate accounting data, account classifications, and departmental classifications.
- Maintain detailed documentation and audit trail back up for all journal entries, reconciliations, and financial related transactions.
- Assist in updating company-wide weekly and monthly cashflows.
- Review general ledger and other accounting files for accuracy.
- Assist in maintaining and updating accounting records.
- Assist in preparing audit schedules and working with auditors.
- Assist with preparation of the annual 990.
- Perform special projects as requested by Director of Finance, Admin and HR.
- Budget Analyst Responsibilities
- Assist Production Department with preparation of annual budgets.
- Provide support in tracking monthly performance against budget and identifying and analyzing trends that will support department budget goals.
- Serve as liaison between Production and Finance Departments to provide weekly cash flow updates for Production.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting required.
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant general ledger experience required.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Payroll experience preferred.
- Audit experience mandatory
- GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles in the U.S.)
- General business laws and regulations
- Proficiency in QuickBooks accounting software
- Advance Proficiency in Excel; extensive use of linking and SUMIF formulas and use of Pivot tables
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in web-based research tools
- Working knowledge of payroll systems
Skills and Abilities:
- Attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to track and meet deadlines successfully
- Ability to prioritize tasks among multiple concurrent projects
- Communicate clearly and timely in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality around sensitive material
Extended periods at workstation, using a keyboard, viewing a computer screen and communicating by telephone and in person. Ability to work flexible hours required, including evenings and weekends on occasion.
Work environment is generally quiet, and in an office setting, but intensifies during periods when the company is in production. Due to COVID, masks must be worn whenever is the facilities, in accordance with Arizona Opera and CDC guidelines.
Reliable transportation required and must be able to travel statewide. Flexible schedule that will require working some nights and weekends to attend events, performances, rehearsals, etc.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.