Director of Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations
Arizona Opera is seeking an energetic and inspired Director of Marketing, Communications and Public Relations (Director) to join its senior management team as the company continues to pursue its vision of artistic vitality, delivery of civic value, audience expansion, and institutional strength and sustainability, and as the performing arts recover from the impact of the pandemic.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in ticket sales, marketing, advertising, branding, public relations, and event coordination, preferably within the performing arts. The candidate will have a passion for a comprehensive approach to communications, which integrates sales and marketing, development, and community engagement, in broadening the organization’s reach with new and diverse audiences, as well as deepening relationships with current patrons.
They will understand the importance cross-departmental collaboration in support of the opera’s vision to serve the state of Arizona as fully as possible. They will have a creative and solutions-oriented approach to the challenge of revenue generation for the arts. They will also help to lead the company’s exploration of expanded reach through digital content as the performing arts move into the post-pandemic “new normal.”
Experience within the non-profit professional performing arts industry is preferred, with a bias toward candidates that appreciate opera. Ability to operate with collegiality and positivity in a high-intensity environment is a huge plus.
- Leads and manages the Arizona Opera marketing team, which currently consists of the Director, Marketing Manager, Marketing Specialist (part time), Box Office Manager and personnel, and related vendors and consultants to ensure top-notch customer service and connection to messaging around productions, the season, and the brand as a whole.
- Successfully achieves the department’s revenue goals within its expense budget (N.B., the department’s expense budget has historically been $500k+, with revenues of $1.5M to $2M).
- Develops and implements successful marketing and communications plans to support the vision of Arizona Opera and its brand, including annual subscription and single ticket campaigns, out-of-market and group sales, public relations efforts, and special initiatives (e.g., Arizona Opera’s upcoming 50th Anniversary)
- Oversees the planning and implementation of all public relations and advertising efforts, including radio, TV, billboards, website, print, performance programs, and social media, rigorously maintaining brand integrity.
- Leverages internal and external research to build and execute strategies that will both retain current audiences and build new audiences.
- Analyzes the effectiveness of the company’s campaigns based on data, implementing strategic changes as needed.
Internal and External Collaboration
- Serves as a key ambassador for the company, both internally and externally, identifying opportunities to build collaboration among departments, the board, and support organizations to expand engagement, audiences, and ticket sales.
- Works strategically with the development department to achieve organizational goals to 1) deepen and enhance current patron and donor experience to develop brand loyalty, and 2) identify and cultivate relationships with new patrons and donors for audience and donor development.
- Oversees performance broadcasts and livestreams as applicable, in partnership with the artistic department.
- Leads marketing and sales applications of Tessitura (CRM) and serve as liaison with other departments to maintain best practices in the CRM.
- Builds and manages solid, mutually beneficial relationships with media outlets, media sponsors, local arts organizations, and PR firms that have been engaged by the company.
- Seeks out and negotiates in-kind sponsorship opportunities for promotional and advertising purposes, including those with media, corporate sponsors (in tandem with the Development Department), other local not-for-profit organizations. Manages and oversees all marketing co-promotions.
- Understanding of how to build successful marketing campaigns across various media, including digital, broadcast, print.
- Ability to analyze, strategize, plan, prioritize and set timelines and metrics for sales and marketing success within a defined budget.
- An understanding of data and how it can be used to broaden and deepen relationships, as well as its value in developing and recalibrating strategy.
- Three to five years of successful marketing and communications experience, preferably but not necessarily within the opera field.
- Knowledge of Tessitura or other performing arts CRM strongly preferred
- Understanding of excellent customer service and how to implement customer-centric engagement plans
- Excellent writing, project management, proofreading and communication skills
- Proficient Microsoft Office including Word & Excel
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Extended periods at work station, using a keyboard, viewing a computer screen and communicating by telephone and in person. Special event set up and break down will be required at times.
Work environment is generally quiet, and in an office setting, but intensifies during periods when the company is in production. Also, see Physical Demands section above re special events.
Reliable transportation is required and Director must be able to travel statewide. Attendance is expected at Arizona Opera performances in both Phoenix and Tucson. The season schedule requires working various nights and weekends to attend events, performances, rehearsals.
To apply, please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.