Staff Accountant and Budget Analyst (Part-time)
Arizona Opera is seeking a motivated, detail-oriented, and energetic Staff Accountant to join its Finance team as the company continues to pursue its vision of artistic vitality, delivery of civic value, audience expansion, and institutional strength and sustainability.
Since 1971, Arizona Opera has produced over 200 fully staged operas and concerts. As one of the only companies in the country to perform in two major metropolitan cities, Arizona Opera presents artists of both international stature and emerging talent, and each season balances debut artists and the return of favorite performers. In addition to producing five operatic main stage offerings each year in both Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona Opera offers in-school touring productions and numerous outreach events for children and adults of all ages. The 2021/22 Season marked the company’s 50th Anniversary.
In addition to producing five fully staged operas each year in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona Opera offers robust programs in the areas of K-12 education, artist and artisan training, and community engagement, with an expanded focus in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion across all areas of the company.
Job Title: Staff Accountant and Budget Analyst
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Reports To: Director Finance, Administration, and HR
FLSA Status: Eligible for OT (Non-Exempt)
Classification: Part-time (20-25 per week)
- Assists in completing monthly financial closing process and prepares all designated account reconciliations on a timely and accurate basis.
- Maintain and update schedules for fixed assets, leases, prepaids, deferrals, etc.
- Completes and prepares monthly journal entries to ensure the month-end trial balance represents accurate accounting data, account classifications and departmental classifications.
- Assist in preparing audit schedules and working with auditors.
- Assist with preparation of the annual 990.
- Perform special finance/budget projects as requested by Director of Finance, Admin and HR and/or the President and General Director Budget Analyst Responsibilities.
- $25 per hour
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years' relevant general ledger experience required.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Audit experience mandatory.
- GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles in the U.S.)
- General business laws and regulations.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks accounting software.
- Proficiency in Excel and overall Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency in web-based research tools.
Skills and Ability:
- Self-starter, ability to perform with minimal supervision.
- Familiar with internal controls and accounting processes.
- Attention to details.
- Meet deadlines.
- Follow through on tasks.
- Prioritize and accomplish multiple projects concurrently.
- Communicate clearly and timely in a professional manner.
- Work effectively with staff.
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Apply problem solving and analytical skills.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Extended periods at workstation, using a keyboard, viewing a computer screen and communicating by telephone and in person.
Ability to work flexible hours required, including evenings and weekends on occasion.
The work environment is quiet, and in an office setting, but intensifies during periods when the company is in production. Due to COVID, masks must be worn whenever is the facilities, in accordance with Arizona Opera and CDC guidelines.
Reliable transportation required. Flexible schedule that may require working some nights and weekends to attend events, performances, rehearsals, etc.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.