Madama Butterfly Fusion Feast
Your host is Jean Cooper, who taught at a professional cooking school as an avocation. This Feast will mirror the fusion (and sometimes collision) of Western and Japanese cultures in Madame Butterfly, the young Japanese geisha who absolutely believed in all things American after her “marriage“ to Colonel Pinkerton, with a story by an American from San Francisco and music by Puccini. Jean has chosen to focus on melding Japanese and Italian flavors, except for apple pie, the quintessential American dessert.
- Guests will start with chilled sake and Midori-prosecco cocktails as they arrive. There will be sushi, sashimi, and Italian crostini, plus a few other little canapes that will capture Japan, Italy, or both in one bite.
- Fusion Wedding Soup- tiny meatballs, shredded greens, parmesan cheese and soba noodles in a rich broth, based on Italian Wedding Soup but with delicate Japanese noodles instead of Italian pasta.
- “Teppan” steak with teriyaki glaze, griddled vegetables, and crispy risotto cakes with panko crust.
- All American apple pie, because Butterfly was sure she was an American by marriage, served with matcha (green tea) ice cream and Japanese cookies
- Wines or sake, as appropriate, will be served with the dinner
About Opera Feasts
Opera Feasts, now in their 9th season, are dinners held in private home themed to the operas of the Arizona Opera season. They are a major fundraiser of the Opera League. Our generous hosts donate all of their expenses so that 100% of the proceeds go to Arizona Opera. We have kept the price at $125 per seat and you get a tax deduction of $75 for every Opera Feast seat you purchase.