Opera at Home Virtual Learning Tools
We know how important an arts education is, and are here to help you continue to provide an arts education while your students are learning from home. Below, discover all the virtual ways to share opera and the arts with your students!
Opera at Home Activities
- Each of the below videos were created by Arizona Opera and Dr. Naomi Barrettera to prepare students for our Student Night at the Opera program. Use these 30 minute youtube videos to learn about the history, music, and storyline of each of these operas.
- NEW PODCASTS! Click one of the links below to access 2 new podcasts that talks about our Department of Education and its programs and get a behind the scenes look at the Arizona Opera Costume Shop.
- The Arizona Opera Podcasts, produced by Director of Community Engagement Kyle Homewood, are filled with information about specific operas. Each podcast features special guests including composers, directors, opera stars and more!
July 7, 2020
Arizona Science Center Online Resources
- Have you ever wanted to create your own lava lamp, build an ocean in a bottle, or extract the DNA from a strawberry? The Arizona Science Center has endless activities and experiments for you do to at home!
July 1, 2020
The Santa Fe Opera's Digital Opening Night Celebration with The Barber of Seville
- On July 3rd, tune into to one of The Santa Fe Opera's social media channels to join them for a digital event celebrating The Barber of Seville.
June 24, 2020
Opera Philadelphia's The Barber of Seville
June 23, 2020
Seattle Opera's Summer Recital Series
- Join Seattle Opera on Thursday, June 25th for their summer recital series featuring baritone John Moore, and pianist Tim Barrick.
June 22, 2020
Inner Workings: A Backstage Perspective with Chicago Opera Theater
- Ever wonder what it takes to keep opera going behind the scenes? tune in and listen to three leaders discuss the role of technical and production artists in the opera world.
June 9, 2020
Virtual Voice Classes with Jennifer Johnson Cano
- Join St. Louis native and Webster University graduate Jennifer Johnson Cano for virtual voice classes this summer! A naturally gifted singer noted for her commanding stage presence and profound artistry, Jennifer Johnson Cano has garnered critical acclaim for committed performances of both new and standard repertoire.
June 4, 2020
- First Friday Virtual Tour
May 26, 2020
Hamilton's EduHam at Home
- During the current COVID-19 outbreak, parents and families of K-12 students can register to recieve FREE access to EduHam remote learning resources.
May 20, 2020
Arts for Arizona Coloring Page
- We've created a coloring page just for you! Print it out, color the page, and share your creation with us on social media. Tag us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using @azopera.
May 19, 2020
The Metropolitan Opera Free Student Streams
- These free student streams are intended to help students, teachers, and families learning from home. Streams are live monday - wednesday, and stay on the platfrom until Friday
May 13, 2020
Fox Theatre for Families at Home
- The Fox Theatre in Tucson has an entire page dedicated to activities and videos for families at home. Each video has learning activities, questions, and lessons for you to use!
May 8, 2020
Pacific Opera Project's "The Magic Flute" watch party!
- Mark your Calendar! On Wednesday, May 13th at 5:00pm, Pacific Opera Project is hosting an interactive watch party of The Magic Flute.This fun story is set in classic video games from the 1990's.
May 4, 2020
Arizona Science Center at Home Learning
- The Arizona Science Center has resources for Educators, Parents, and Student to to continue to engage curious minds through science!
April 28, 2020
Lincoln Center at Home
- Lincoln Center at Home will be streaming a recording of their 1997 live at Lincoln Center episode of a Celebration of Johannes Brahms with Jessye Norman. Stream beings at 2pm (5pm ET)!
April 27, 2020
Scottsdale Arts Online Gallery
April 20, 2020
Children's Museum of Phoenix
- Follow the Children's Museum of Phoenix on Facebook and Instagram for daily at home projects and activities!
April 16, 2020
Phoenix Zoo Digital Safari and Daily Social Media
- The Phoenix Zoo is offering fun and educational digital content on their website and social media platforms including a digital safari, and daily visits with animals!
April 13, 2020
Cleveland Opera Theater - Opera for All
- Cleveland Opera Theater is offering a variety of programs online including Opera 101 sessions, masterclasses, behind-the-scenes content and more!
April 10, 2020
Arizona PBS Kids At-Home Learning
April 8, 2020
The Royal Opera House and Royal Ballet School Streams
- As part of their #ourhousetoyourhouse series, The Royal Opera House and Royal Ballet School are offering curated online programming including full-length performances, masterclasses, and some behind the scenes content for audiences of all ages!
April 6, 2020
The Metropolitan Opera Guild At Home Learning
- The Metropolitan Opera Guild has compiled a resource of at home learning filled with tools to help your student learn about opera from home. Take a moment to browse their incredible selections.
April 2, 2020
The Phoenix Art Museum Collections
- Browse the Phoenix Art Museum's collections virtually! Their collections consist of over 19,000 pieces from 9 different areas in many different mediums.
April 1, 2020
Direct your own Hansel and Gretel Opera
- Go Classical for Kids has created an online interactive classical music education game where you get to direct your own production of Hansel and Gretel! This program uses music from Humperdincks most famous opera
March 31, 2020
New Week! The Metropolitan Opera Nightly Opera Streams
- Catch nightly streams of opera classics offered by the Metropolitan Opera at 7:30pm. Streams are available for 23 hours after the begining of the stream.
March 27, 2020
From our Living Room to Yours! TODAY at 2pm on Facebook and Instagram!
- Christopher Cano, Arizona Opera's Head of Music and Director of the Marion Roose Pullin Opera Studio, and his wife, noted opera singer Jennifer Johnson Cano present a live, virtual concert from their living room! A private concert you do not want to miss! Click the name of each artist to learn a little bit more about them before watching one of the streams below. All you need to do is find Arizona Opera on Facebook or Instagram at 2pm to join!
March 26, 2020
Musical Instrument Museum MIMKids Activities
- The Musical Instrument Museum has provide free online resources to teach your students how to build their own instruments at home!
March 25, 2020
Arizona Opera Marion Roose Pullin Studio Artists "Live" Performance!
- Last week, our Arizona Opera Studio Artists performed a Facebook Live concert for our virtual audience. Use this performance as an arts lesson by engaging your students with the following questions:
- What is opera?
- What language are the artists singing in?
- How many artists are there (answer is revealed at the end of the video), and what are their voice types?
- Do you think this Aria (or song) is Happy, sad, angry, etc.? Why?
- Have your students do an art project by drawing when the performance is happening.
March 24, 2020
Performance Today's Classical Critters
- Performance Today's Classical Critters is a 60 minute classical music story about and inspired by animals. Click the link below to browse the music selections and begin the story! Make sure you have paper, pencil, and crayons for the activities in the story!
March 23, 2020
The Metropolitan Opera Nightly Opera Streams
- Its Wagner week! Catch nightly streams of opera classics offered by the Metropolitan Opera at 7:30pm. Streams are available for 23 hours after the begining of the stream.